Yoga & Mental Health
Updated: Oct 19, 2020
Effects of Yoga on Mental Health
With the stress of the world we live in, it is important to dedicate time to our mental health. However, when life gets busy, we often neglect self-care. Yoga is a tool that only needs about 15-30 minutes a day, and can be done from the comfort and safety of your home. Allowing yourself a break from daily stressors to practice yoga can help you to feel calm and relaxed. Yoga has been a mental, physical and spiritual practice in India for thousands of years. It has recently become popular in America for the physical benefits; however yoga has numerous proven benefits for both the mind and the body. You can practice yoga in a quiet room with few distractions or even find a space in your backyard.
Here is a list of some of the positive effects yoga has:
● Yoga builds self-confidence, self-awareness and self-esteem by helping you to become more in touch with your body and mind.
● If yoga is practiced routinely, it can improve sleep, mood and quality of life.
● Yoga helps to lessen the physical symptoms of anxiety and depression. Yoga relaxes tension and chest tightness associated with anxiety. It also reduces fatigue and agitation associated with depression.
● Practicing yogic breathing can help us to feel more in control during stressful times in our daily lives. Breathing through challenging poses or thoughts during yoga demonstrates how to breathe through difficult situations in everyday life.
● Yoga also promotes mindfulness which teaches us to observe our thoughts and be in the present rather than allowing the negative thoughts to take control of our minds.
● Relaxing poses activate the parasympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for slowing your heart rate, relaxing your muscles and reducing stress.
● It is a great form of exercise! Yoga increases flexibility while also building strength. It is also beneficial for balance and posture.
Yoga is complementary to therapy and not a replacement. A yoga practice and psychological treatment regimen can vastly improve overall mental health.
Watch our YouTube tutorial to learn a few relaxing yoga poses!